Monday, September 1, 2008

A Hunting We Will Go.... Not.


Every year right before labor day, my relatives and I go hunting in Wickenburg, Arizona. It is a family tradition that has been going on for over 20 years now. What really sucks balls is that after going for 8 years in a row, I haven't been able to attend the past two years for various reasons, but this year, I was certain I would finally be able to get back into the swing of things. Unfortunately, I had to back out at the last minute. It was a very difficult decision, but one that is best for me and that I do not regret. Right now school is at the top of my priorities and with this semester being my last, I want to try my hardest to not only succeed, but excel. I simply cannot afford to miss any classes because of the great deal of material that is covered. I do admit I feel really bad about not being able to go, mostly because of my Grandfather. He is a man that I admire greatly. He helped my mother raise us when my Father was playing professional baseball in Mexico. He is a very funny man, always making light of every situation, and I believe that is where I get my personality from.

The past couple of years I have not been able to visit my grandparents as often as I would like and I know he looks forward to these hunting trips because we get to spend quality time with each other. That is what made this decision so tough. I realize he does not have many years left and I would love to maximize the time I spend with him, but I've reached a point in my life where I must put my foot down on my priorities. I shouldn't have to feel guilty about not going and not pleasing other peoples wishes. I know I am going to get crap from my uncles saying that "I bailed" and whatever but you know what, at the end of the day, I will be the one smiling because I know I have worked hard and dedicated myself to my goals in which I will achieve. I am going to make a conscious effort to visit my grandparents more often and go to the shooting range at least once a month with him. It's hard making time for anything especially trying to handle 6 classes, part-time work & my band which should pick up again soon, but there's a way where there's a will.

I hope you will understand Grandpa that from the bottom of my heart, I would have loved to be their with you guys, but I am making sacrifices that will enable me to do well in school just how you and Grandma always told me, "Keep up with your homework and never give up on school." Above anything else my grandparents are my leading motivation to graduate and to excel in college. I want to make them proud and let them know that I will be fine and that I will have a great future in which they have always imagined. Although I will receive my diploma in January, I have to wait a whole semester to walk because our school only does spring semester commencement ceremonies, so I know it will all be worth it on that sunny day in May of '09 when I walk over to the podium and shake hands with the president of our school on congratulating me for graduating. Then I will look over to my grandparents and see that smile on their face and think, damn its been one long grueling and exhausting journey but i made it, just like i promised.... now onto grad school.... hopefully at USC.


Dream Big, Dream Often.

No comments: