
As the hours count down, and the sun continues to fade, I find myself content with the way things turned out this past summer. School starts on Tuesday and this past week, while remodeling my damn bathroom, I've had a long time to reflect and focus on what has transpired since the beginning of '08, specifically summer.
Fall of '07 was a pretty ruff period in my life, felt unreal sometimes, just imagine everything that could go wrong, go wrong. Failing to deal with my emotions & opting to bury them only made matters worse. That is where the consequences come into play. My school work, band, work, & overall out look on life were affected negatively. I struggled at the beginning of the '08 semester, missed band practices, half ass-ed at work all due to the lack of motivation I conjured. I had a "who gives a fuck" attitude, thinking that nothing was worth it anymore.
This is where I thank my friends and family. You guys are the best, people say things like "I don't know where id be if it weren't for you" all the time, but now I know what it truly means. Family will always be there, it is a given where I come from, but your friends, your friends choose to be there, thats what makes them special. We didn't even have to be doing anything, just simply hanging out and being there was enough for me to realize how good i still have it and how thankful i should be because no matter what, unfortunately there is always someone worse off than you. I believe its the transition period that is always the hardest to overcome.
“It's not so much that we're afraid of change or so in love with the old ways, but it's that place in between that we fear . . . . It's like being between trapezes. It's Linus when his blanket is in the dryer. There's nothing to hold on to.”
-Marilyn Ferguson
Fast forward midway through my spring semester '08, I began to come to my senses, acknowledged the tasks at hand and regained focus to work whole heartedly for my school grades, band & work. Armed with the motivation of summer bringing forth band tour, Vegas, my birthday, etc., I was determined to finish stronger than ever.
With the exception of tour falling through, I could not have been more satisfied with the way summer blossomed. Highlights include:
-Traditional trips to the beach.
-Basketball Thursdays (coming back with a vengeance).
-Justin's Backyard boogies.
-Midnight Bike Rides around the orange circle & downtown disney.
-Going to Sd to watch DL , later realizing we were spending the night haha, & downing a 12 pack of tecates.
-Getting "evicted" from the beach on me and Matt's birthday bash throwdown at Huntington (i guess theres a first for everything, lol).
-Our band releasing our first Album
-Vegas twice, with the group, (randomly hanging with bball all americans).
-4th of July fireworks @ the Apostles.
-The Dark Knight Midnight Premiere with the group, one word....masterpiece.
-My birthday weekend, beach, Group dinner, family dinner. :)
-Who can forget JOOYCE Red's 21st bday where practically everyone was gone hahaha. haha i threw pizza on the roof, so Scott says.
-Darwins prank calls, Darrell's rastafarian party, Dj Danns mythical skills at everyones shindigs.
-Pool parties @ Danns apartment in the Uptown haha.
-Taco tuesdays, $1 tacos, can't go wrong when your shit turns green.
-Grand Opening of Skyline to watch Dann spin at a club for the 1st time.
-Chillen with Hello Kitty at the heist for Steve Aoki
just to name a few...

So for the first time in a long time I am looking forward to starting off this final fall semester because I will graduate in December with my B.S. It's hard to imagine someone looking forward to school but i believe this is possible due to the fact that I am content with summer and are therefore ready move on and march toward graduation.
Perhaps the greatest lesson learned is that, Our character is not determined by what happens to us, rather we are defined on how we respond to life's challenges.
So long summer. :)

1 comment:
yay for great times and awesome friends! and welcome to the blogger world!
Post a Comment